Submitters: Faith & Order Commission
Resolved, that the 236th Convention of the Episcopal Diocese of Connecticut adopt the revisions to the Canons set forth in Appendix A to this resolution, to be effective on October 18, 2020.
The changes proposed in this resolution:
- Clarify that Rectors and Priests-in-Charge have the same duties;
- Make explicit that Parish meetings, Vestry meetings, and Mission Council meetings may be held remotely via technology;
- Align the Canon re: Clerical Settlement and Removal with current best practices;
- Expand the Bishops’ oversight to all positions that require the regular exercise of the gifts and spiritual authority as a Minister of God’s Word and Sacraments taken by Canonically resident and licensed clergy;
- Reduce the number of nominees for election to the Mission Council from the Ministry Networks; and
- Remove unnecessary language.
How does this resolution further God’s mission of restoration and reconciliation with all creation?
The proposed changes facilitate new and flexible ways of worshiping and pursuing God’s Mission in ECCT.
Requirements To Implement:
The proposed Canons are not anticipated to impose any incremental cost on ECCT.