When I first joined the Convention planning team nine years ago, I never in my wildest dreams imagined an Annual Convention like the one we are having this year. Yet here we are. A global pandemic that has touched millions of people around the world and left so many sick and dead, has impacted every part of our lives in ways mundane and profound.
Our Annual Convention is no exception. It will be different this year. Ways of being together in person have had to adapt, sometimes significantly, in order to translate to a virtual gathering. It is new for all of us. Parts of this Convention may be challenging. Some things may not work as planned.
And God is still with us. Jesus is still calling us. The Holy Spirit will not let us be.
So, I ask of you two offerings: patience and grace. I ask that you offer them first to yourself. I ask that you offer them to one another, your fellow participants in this year’s Convention. And I ask that you offer them to our leadership and Convention planning team.
Because we are being called and sent into the world to participate in the work of restoration and reconciliation, and never has the brokenness of this world been more apparent. We have real work to do together to address the evil of racism and white supremacy, the realities of this global pandemic, and the massive inequalities that have become lodged into the structures of our society.
We have work to do, and I am thankful to be able to do it alongside you. To make sure that you have everything you need to dig into this work, please take a moment to read through the Convention checklist below. I look forward to seeing you at Convention.
Secretary of Convention
- Get your device ready: You can participate Convention from almost any internet connected device, and the best experience will be on a computer with a webcam and microphone. This will let you easily view resolutions or work on shared documents in World Café sessions while also being a part of a Zoom session.
- Get Zoom: If you have never downloaded Zoom before, do so now, as you will need it on your device for every gathering at this Convention. If you already have Zoom installed, take a moment and check for an update–Zoom pushes frequent software upgrades and having the latest version will help you have a good Convention experience.
- Check your credentials: Make sure you can login to this website. The link is always at the top of the page and you must be logged in to access Zoom links and voting materials (for voting members only). All registered participants were sent an email with unique login instructions. If you can’t find yours, check your spam folder. If you still can’t find them, please contact Adam Yates as soon as possible.
- If you are having trouble logging in with your username & password, we have found that copying and pasting your credentials into the login form has solved almost 100% of people’s issues.
- Do your homework: Take some time to review the resolutions and reports on this website so that you are prepared for the legislative session on Saturday.
- Check out the vendor page: We have a list of wonderful ministries, organizations, and businesses that have traditionally supported Convention by paying to be a part of our vendor hall. Given the pandemic, many of these same organizations are struggling this year, and so we are taking the opportunity to support them by highlighting their work and services at no cost.
- Have fun: If you are on social media, join the conversation by using #ECCT on Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook. Help us tell the story of what we are about and share your experience this week with the rest of the world!